Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mystery Quilting Day!

Well I did it and took my very first Mystery Quilt class today! What a great time! I "almost" finished the top. It will be complete by tomorrow night and I'll post a picture! The organizers were great! We had "pressers" to help us along so all we had to do is sew, sew, sew!

To start, we were given our list of fabrics and a detailed list of how to cut them up. Our cut pieces them went into our numbered bags. When we got set up in the morning, our first "clue" was given to us and we started our sewing! About every 45 minutes we got additional "clues". I had NO idea what it would look like in the end! Needless to say I am thrilled with the end result! I have one more mitred border to complete and it will be done! As I live in Calgary and the Mystery Quilt was an hour away, I decided to leave before that final border. I left at 8:30 in the morning and I arrived back home at 7 in the evening! A very full day I'd say!



This is the first time that I used solids! Too bad my camera didn't show the amazing colors! Wait until you see the end result! I found that the solids frayed ALOT as I sewed. I've never sewn with just solid fabrics and I'm not sure if this is a normal thing. I guess I just noticed it that much more as I was sewing on black borders. I'll be sewing some baby quilts with the same fabrics, so I'll have to wait and see how those go! They are from my Kona Cotton stash, so the fabric is of good quality. If you notice the same, let me know ok?


A day out isn't the same without picking up some goodies! The Mystery Quilting Day also had a surprise with some wares for sale! I found a decent sized needle threader for my handwork and some lovely applique needles (I'm a needle-hound when it comes to finding the "right" feel of needle for my handwork!) The Wonder Clips are in addition to the ones that I already have. They are fantastic! I love them for when I'm hand stitching on my binding. They hold the binding in just the right place. It's nice to be able to have a whole side clipped down so all I have to do is sew, sew, sew!

I know that I gave out my blog addy to a lot of you out there. If you have some photo's of your finished quilt that you want me to post, I would be thrilled to show them off! Email me at onlydiamonds@hotmail.com . Better yet, if you have tips and ideas, comment! I would love to hear them. No Quilt Police allowed though! ha ha! Enjoy your journey in quilting and don't worry about the small stuff! If it works for you -- that's all that counts!

Happy Quilting Everyone!

No comments: