Saturday, March 2, 2013

On the design wall....where did you go motivation?

I'm working to complete a quilt for my daughter's 30th birthday coming up. It's been a project of love and has been a long time coming since I started this along with my very first quilt back in 1996(?) LONG TIME! Working full time sure cuts into my quilt time. I know people say it only takes a few minutes a day, but I'm dead tired by the time I get home from work. I am loving my "15-minutes of Play" by Victoria Findlay Wolfe. Her book is fantastic! Maybe one day I'll actually get around to "made fabric"! The one HUGE lesson that I got from it -- 15 minutes a day -- that's it. Start by taking 15 minutes a day, devote 15 minutes a day to just "play". I've been taking her words to heart and have been doing just that. Even though I may be exhausted (ok, no cutting fabric when exhausted with a rotary cutter!)..but I am putting in 15 minutes a day into my studio. Whether I'm cutting, sewing, organizing, folding fabric -- minimum, 15 minutes a day. Thanks to Ms. Wolfe for her words of wisdom! For months I was frozen after work, sitting in front of the television, stagnant! (I do have a tv in my studio, but somehow I didn't get up there). So motivation has been a huge thing for me. Fifteen minutes is nothing -- but in the scheme of things, I am frozen....mentally frozen. I had taken a week of vacation earlier in February and it was great! I took the time to head to the studio daily and work on my quilt. Now, back to work, I am exhausted again when I get home. Maybe it has to do with work, rather than creativity? :-) Any suggestions would be great! Meantime, I'll work on going in there 15 minutes a day! Happy Quilting everyone!

No comments: